Saturday, May 21, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog about food in Alaska!

First of all, I would like to be very clear about something: I am not a food critic. This will not be a blog in which I criticize and nitpick the restaurants and other places that I visit. I am starting this blog because Anchorage has an amazing diversity of restaurants, markets, festivals, and other opportunities for great food, and I want to share the great things I find with other people. I love food, and I love learning about the history of foods, of foods' influence on our culture and our politics. Along with not being a food critic, I would also like to stress that I am not a food snob. I appreciate good food and drinks in all their forms, and I definitely do not turn up my nose at a street vendor or a cheap burger, as long as it is delicious. Because I want to share my love of food with everyone, I will try and highlight places where two people can get a delicious dinner for $30 or less, but I will also be talking about the great food that you might only get on special occasions, because dinner there will set you back closer to $100 for two.

This blog will include restaurants I visit, mainly in Anchorage but also in other towns around southcentral Alaska that I visit, like Palmer, Talkeetna, Seward, and Homer. It will also include great food stores that I find, because people should know about all the great bakeries, wine stores, cheese stores, and other food specialty stores we have here. When talking about a particular place, I will also try and point out those that have vegetarian or vegan items, as well as those that use local meat, seafood, and produce, because eating locally and sustainably in Alaska has a huge impact. I also may write occasional reviews of food writing, and I may share cookbooks or recipes with you if I find something particularly new and exciting.

So, there you are. I hope that this blog will be interesting to you, and helpful if you live in Alaska or are thinking of visiting. Send me an email if you are interested in a particular food genre (dessert! Thai food!) or have another question or comment you think I should post about.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I love food blogs! Can you write about Gluten Free (GF), Dairy Free,(DF) or Kosher(K) foods that you come across as well? I am also looking for ways to be creative with Millet and Quinoa . . . I am very excited about your blog! Yay!

    ReplyDelete